Pilot Plant Business Unit Leader
Remote, South Charleston, WV
The Pilot Plant Business Unit (BU) Leader provides leadership and strategic direction related to AVN’s Pilot Plant Operations, Maintenance, and Health, Safety, and Environment (HSE). The BU Leader reports to the Chief Technology Officer and works closely with Vice President for Business Development and Laboratory BU Manager to maintain and appropriately staff for a robust pipeline of projects for the business. The Pilot Plant Manager is an active member of the R&D Leadership team, including team management of staffing resource needs among the R&D Business Units.
- Ensure the Pilot Plant complies with and exceeds all HSE standards defined by AVN and government regulations
- Set the strategy and direction for activities in the Pilot Plan
- Lead and develop the Pilot Plant Staff to improve their technical and project management expertise
- Support project managers to meet project deliverables regarding cost and schedule by providing resources and high-level oversight of technology development
- Promote a continuous improvement culture and create a positive work environment that promotes collaboration and teamwork
- Promote a healthy cross-collaboration with the Laboratory BU and Chemical Technology Group.
- Lead all aspects of Maintenance and Improvement of Pilot plant facilities and equipment
- Lead the development of the long-term capital investment strategy for the Pilot Plant
- Ensure projects are correctly designed to safely meet customers’ technical and business objectives
- Anticipate issues and engage with Senior Leadership and Staff to address them
- Engage with customers’ leadership from business development through project execution to ensure alignment
- Experience in managing people in a technical function
- Experience leading or contributing to the preparation of CapEx project submissions, including the preparation of investment budgets
- Basic knowledge of Occupational Safety, Health, and Environment requirements
- Ability to lead, coach and develop people
- Strong team player with excellent communication/relational and stakeholder management skills
- Able to lead/manage/complete projects with minimal supervision. Creative and innovative with a sense of urgency and passion.
Required Experience and Education
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Technology, or a related field.
- Advanced degree preferred
- Minimum of 7 years experience in process engineering, operations, or research environment
- Proven track record in identifying and optimizing safe, scalable routes that focus on product quality.
South Charleston, WV