Principal Process Chemist
South Charleston, WV
The Process Chemist is responsible for conducting reaction optimization, developing robust processes, and scaling up and delivering high-quality chemical intermediates. The Process Chemist must be skilled in the art and practice of modern chemistry and have demonstrated technical proficiency in performing sensitive chemical reactions, isolations, separations, purifications, and crystallizations. Demonstrated experience at scale-up and a track record of problem-solving is required. The Process Chemist is expected to provide laboratory-based leadership and be a role model for the scientific/technical community in the company by effectively managing technical details and providing sound scientific opinions. The Process Chemist is safety-focused in their role and with co-workers; and supports the AVN culture of diversity and respect for our colleagues
Essential Job Functions
- Plan laboratory experiments to confirm the feasibility of the processes and techniques used in producing materials with special characteristics.
- Transfer products from a laboratory setting to full-scale production.
- Conduct research on the structures and properties of materials, such as organic chemicals and polymers, to obtain information that could be used to develop new products or enhance existing ones.
- Determine ways to develop processes for new materials with new or specific properties for use in various products and applications.
- Drive change in manufacturing processes to improve yield, quality, cycle time, and production cost.
- Confer with customers to determine how to tailor materials to their needs.
- Maintain a detailed and clear laboratory work record in a laboratory notebook and summarize that work in written reports.
- Develop and write new work instructions.
- Provide input regarding the direction of laboratory projects.
- Recommend materials for reliable performance in various environments.
- Test individual products to ensure that manufacturer and government quality and safety standards are met.
- Work independently on short-term and long-term assignments of varying complexity.
- Work cooperatively in a multi-functional team setting.
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment and adhere to all safety rules.
- Doctoral degree (Ph.D.) in organic, inorganic, organometallic chemistry, or related field.
- Strong understanding of chemistry, including knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and the chemical processes and transformations they undergo. This includes the uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Knowledge of scientific research methods and experiments; ability to advise other chemists performing chemical and physical testing.
- Familiarity with applicable regulatory guidance.
- Skilled in analytical methods such as HPLC, GC, MS, NMR, IR, DSC, and TGA.
- A clear understanding of experimental design.
- Strong communication, organization, and planning skills.
- High level of technical aptitude and creativity.
- 15+ years of related experience in process chemistry.
- Hands-on experience working on scale-up projects and troubleshooting scale-up issues.
- Experience in process chemistry and scale-up from gram to multi-kilo quantities.
- Experience in multi-step chemical synthesis.
- Proven track record in identifying and optimizing safe, scalable synthetic routes that focus on quality products.
South Charleston, WV
Position Posting Closing Date
Sunday, October 30, 2022
Apply online at: https://avncorp.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a2ok1adzc1s4
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, familial status, disability status, genetic information, national origin, age, veteran status, or current or future service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal law.