South Charleston, WV
AVN is a dynamic and growing company that promotes creativity and flexibility in the workplace and encourages a culture of diversity and respect for colleagues. We are looking for Laboratory Technicians who are passionate about chemistry and process development and work effectively in a collaborative environment.
AVN is a strategic innovation partner providing deep, uncommon expertise and infrastructure to solve the most challenging problems of science and technology. With expertise in chemicals, energy, environmental and advanced software, AVN enables its partners to move ideas from conception to market quickly and efficiently. AVN’s chemical, energy, and environmental services business unit is headquartered in South Charleston, West Virginia. This business unit provides a broad range of unbiased technical services in industrial R&D, ranging from fundamental research to highly applied development in both the process and product arenas. Our laboratory technicians play an important role in providing valuable R&D services to AVN’s global customers from our South Charleston laboratories.
About the Position
Laboratory technicians run experiments and perform analyses independently, under the supervision of a project manager or other laboratory personnel, to achieve project goals. This includes providing technical support and assistance to chemists and engineers. This safety-focused position supports the AVN culture of diversity and respect for our colleagues.
- Conduct analyses using techniques such as chromatography, spectroscopy, titrations, physical or chemical separation techniques, or microscopy.
- Use either control mechanisms or direct physical activity to operate machines or processes.
- Prepare chemical solutions for processes following standardized formulas, or create experimental formulas.
- Carry out routine tasks accurately and follow strict methodologies to carry out analyses.
- Record results and sometimes interpret results to present to senior colleagues.
- Maintain and clean laboratory instruments and equipment.
- Ensure the laboratory is well-stocked and resourced.
- Use computers and perform mathematical calculations to determine compositions and for the preparation of graphs and tables
- Exercise procedural, safety, and quality requirements specified in AVN’s Safety Manual and company policies.
- Able to solve practical problems and deal with various concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Capable of interpreting various instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with groups of customers or employees of AVN.
- Able to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Good note-writing skills for effective documentation.
- Skilled in math to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- High level of technical aptitude and creativity.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to wear all personal protective equipment.
- Good mechanical skills for designing and assembling laboratory apparatus or reaction equipment, including metal tubing, pumps, control valves, pressure regulators, etc.
- Familiarity with chromatography, spectroscopy, titrations, physical and chemical separation techniques, and microscopy for qualitative and quantitative analyses of solids, liquids, or gaseous materials.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry preferred
- Five years or more of experience related to laboratory process operations
- Experience in GC, GC/MS, HPLC, and LIMS
- Experience setting up, operating, developing methods for, and maintaining analytical instruments
- Master’s degree in chemistry
We are looking for both experienced and less experienced applicants, as we plan to hire more than one candidate. Applicants will be evaluated based on their combination of education and experience
South Charleston, WV
Monday-Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, but laboratory technicians must be able to work irregular hours occasionally based on project needs. This could include rotating shifts, evening shifts, 10 or 12-hour days, or weekend coverage. Occasional overtime is required.
To Apply, use the following link: https://avncorp.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a2ok1advjdpo
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, familial status, disability status, genetic information, national origin, age, veteran status, or current or future service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal law.