Pilot Plant Engineer
South Charleston, WV
AVN is a strategic innovation partner providing deep, uncommon expertise and infrastructure to solve the most challenging problems of science and technology. With expertise in chemical, energy, environmental, and advanced software technologies, AVN enables its partners to move ideas from conception to market quickly and efficiently. AVN’s chemical, energy, and environmental services business unit is headquartered in South Charleston, West Virginia. This business unit provides unbiased chemical process development, scale-up, and research and development services to its chemical and energy-focused, global customers.
The Pilot Plant Engineer works within a multi-functional team environment to provide facility and project support for AVN’s Pilot Plant Operations. Primary duties include managing projects and overseeing project execution during construction and operation. This includes working with Pilot Plant Operators, other AVN engineers and chemists, and clients to collect and analyze plant performance data during the operations phase. The role also entails some shared responsibilities for the general pilot plant facilities, including safety oversight, housekeeping, facility upkeep, and working on infrastructure projects. Some Pilot Plant Engineers may be asked to provide subject matter expertise and support in areas such as control systems, environmental permitting, or safety across multiple projects in the facility as a secondary support role.
- Oversees the safe execution of client and/or infrastructure projects through design, construction, and operation.
- Acts as the project manager and key customer interface for technology development projects requiring pilot plant construction and operations.
- Provides periodic project management reports, including technology status, spending, and schedule projections versus plan.
- Collaborates and engages with other technical experts from AVN as needed to address challenges
- Ensures research data is collected and communicated with clients and key AVN personnel.
- Provides research reports and works with a broader research team to help set program direction and execute the experimental run plan.
- Works with the rest of the Pilot Plant Staff to assist with the day-to-day safe operation of the pilot plant facility and provides functional support in key fields shared across the facility (control systems, utilities, EHS, etc.).
- Bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering; master’s degree in chemical engineering preferred
- Strong communication, organization, project management, and planning skills
- High level of technical aptitude and creativity
- Ability to work safely in a plant environment and to maintain awareness and control of occupational hazards
- Ability to maintain accurate research records.
- Ability to research, analyze data, and draw valid conclusions from plant observations
- Skilled in operations troubleshooting
- Ability to work well on a project team with members from a wide variety of backgrounds, experience levels, and skill sets
- 5 years of experience in a chemical engineering-related field
- 10 years of chemical research, plant operations, and/or process engineering experience preferred
- Experience in project execution roles is necessary, and project management experience is strongly desired
South Charleston, WV
To Apply, use the following link: https://avncorp.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a2ok1aduxb39
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, familial status, disability status, genetic information, national origin, age, veteran status, or current or future service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal law.